J. Tweed McMullen
J. Tweed McMullen, known as J.T. or Tweed to his friends and “Mr. Mac” to his employees, was a native of Pinellas County, born in Palm Harbor in 1913. He was a descendent of the original McMullen family who settled in Pinellas County in 1842. His father, E.W. McMullen was principal of Clearwater High School for over 25 years and his grandfather, D.C. McMullen was a citrus grower. Both his father and grandfather were born in the original McMullen log cabin which is now located in Heritage Park.
Mr. McMullen received his B.A. from the University of Florida with highest honors. He graduated from the University of Florida School of Law in 1936 and returned to Clearwater to practice law at a time when there were only a handful of lawyers and 3 circuit judges in the area. He was in private practice for several years and was admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court in 1940. He served as an assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Florida in 1941-1942. In 1942 he joined the Navy and served in the Pacific during World War II.
In 1946, Mr. McMullen returned to private practice in Clearwater, when he opened the firm of McMullen & Goza.
Over the next 47 years, as Pinellas County’s population expanded, Mr. McMullen’s firm also grew with new clients and new lawyers. In 1993, two historic law firms tied the knot between Tampa and Clearwater to form Florida’s oldest law firm. The Clearwater office, then known as McMullen, Everett, Logan, Marquardt & Cline merged with the Tampa firm of Macfarlane, Ferguson, Allison & Kelly. The new firm has been known as Macfarlane Ferguson & McMullen since 1993.
Mr. McMullen was an active member of the Clearwater Bar for over sixty years and served as its President in 1947 and was a Fellow of the American College of Probate Counsel. He was general counsel for Morton Plant Hospital and a trustee of the Hospital’s Board. He also served as general counsel of First National Bank of Clearwater for over 40 years until the bank merged with AmSouth Bank in 1993. His practice centered on wills, estates, trusts and banking law.
Mr. McMullen was noted for his contributions to the growth of Pinellas County during the area’s tremendous growth spurt in the second half of the 20th century. He was chairman of the Board of Deacons at Peace Memorial Presbyterian Church, a member of the Clearwater Rotary Club for 42 years and was also a member of Carlouel Yacht Club, Belleair Country Club, Casado Club and the Privateers.
Mr. McMullen remained active in the practice of law until his death in 1996. His wife Mildred is also deceased. They are survived by their daughter, Jane Cline.